Tuesday 4 June 2013

Mignonnette

Mignonnette from late 19 th century seen on Ebay



Last week-end I attended an antique toys market. The idea was to watch old automatas and dolls and figure out how they were made.

I don't know why I always feel the urge to do things the old way, and avoid low quality and short cuts. I had actually seen in many books including Susanna Oroyan's books that a classic solution for moving arms and legs is the insert of buttons. However as I had never seen such dolls, I didn't like it.

However in the toy market I saw dolls from late 19th century and beginning of 20th century and it was an eye opener ; the small models have metallic threads going though the body, arms and legs, many models are mixed pocerlain and wood, textile or papier maché, and what's more the head is open with the hair being glued unto something that looks like cardboard or cork ! Hurray, many of my questions have been answered !

Only problem is I fell in love with some of the tiny dolls - and starting price is... 250 euros. The one I really loved costs 800 euros. I really have to get up to speed and do my own !


Here is an article in Engilsh on the subject :
http://www.poupendol.com/pocketdolls.html



No comments: