Tuesday 30 April 2013

Medecine dolls - more inspiration

Here is more visual inspiration for dolls and automatas.


George Harrison by Felt Mistress
Creation by Felt Mistress

Felt Mistress makes fabulous characters. I like the zany look, and the fact that she doesn't care about being anatomically correct.








You can see her work on her website and blog. And there is a nice article about her on Creative Review

For automatas, another interesting website is The British Toymakers Guild which links to a few automatas artists. 



wtggb
Watching the Girls by Robert Race
I love them all, but I must say I have a soft sport for the works of Robert  Race. I love the way he is using drift wood and neutral colours to make his automatas, which reminds me of the sculptures and fetishes I saw many years ago in the Musée d'Afrique et d'Océanie of Paris (now closed). He is mixing in his work inspiration from toys and tribal art, and it gives them a magic feel. I can just imagine how the character on the left wriggles his moustaches :o)


              
Moon Priest
Moon Priest by Robert Race
Here a few other website if you enjoy automatas :
This is a great blog. They also publish a book about mechanism that is realy nice and esay to read.

Rob Ives designs many paper automatas and you can download them, some are free, and if you pay a subcsciption to the website you can download all the projects and a book about automatas.

Another paper automatas website. A nice peace dove to download.


No comments: