Friday 6 March 2009

India continued

In Tamil Nadu, I saw many temples of course, and this time many temples dedicated to the Goddess. It is not allowed to take pictures of the shrines, and non-hindus are sometimes warmly welcome and sometimes barely tolerated. As a result, I don't have pictures of what moved me most. I wrote last year about what I felt in temples here.

I was surprised to feel a totally different kind of energy in Shiva temples and Shakti temples. I am sometimes very naive.

Here are a few pictures of expressions of faith...

Tiruvarur Temple - in each little house there is a statue.

Tiruvarur. Nandy looking after a Shiva lingam.

A statue in Arunchaleshvara Temple, Tiruvannamalai - temple dedicated to the element of fire.

Yoni (symbol of the Goddess) in Kamakshi Amman temple, Kancheepuram.

Offerings for fertility in Kamakshi Amman temple, Kancheepuram.

Ceiling in Palani, in the temple dedicated to Murugan, son of Shiva

Textile tribal snake - TRC museum

Mask against evil spirits.

Celebrations in honour of Goddess Kali, who defeated demons, but in her rage did not stop and tramped Shiva to death. Pondicherry. Don't ask what is in her mouth !!!

Village car festival in honour of Vishnou

Food stall, village, Nilgiris

Tribal Gods, TRC museum

Prehistorical rock art, Karikkiyur, Nilgiris.

Temple footprints.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...looks like you've had a very good time. HAve your feet touched the ground yet?

Bisou

Padparadscha said...

Now not yet ! I tried to call you yesterday but had no luck :(

KV said...

Marvelous photos and essay, Helene!


Kathy V in NM

Renu said...

lovely photos and you have explained so many things, whichj even many people living in India, worshipping in those temples, neither have asked , nor know.

Padparadscha said...

Thanks KV, I found something marvelous and beautiful in my postbox when I came boack, thank you so much !!!

*
Oh, Renu this is a lovely thing to say, thank you. I didn't dare contact you when I was there but I thought about you !

Renu said...

I am in Chennai and I would have loved to see u, next time please inform me of ur visit.

Padparadscha said...

OK, I will do this with pleasure !

KV said...

Oh, I am so glad that packet made it to you, Helene!


Kathy V in NM

ACey said...

interesting that I have thought of you frequently and felt as if you were having an adventure. What wonderful food for the eyes and soul!

Padparadscha said...

Thanks Acey !