Wednesday 9 January 2008

TIF January update

After thinking it over for a while, I finally decided to go with the colour palette for the January Take It Further challenge. I might also use it for the BJP challenge, depending on the time I have on hand this month.

I have learnt that 2008, is the International Year of the Potato. Potato was introduced in Europe in the 16th century, and from the moment it was allowed to be cultivated, there were no more famines (except in Ireland the year when potato crops were decimated by insects). French children are always told how scientist Mr Parmentier had soldiers posted near potato fields so that the people would understand it was something valuable rather than a trick of the establishment to poison them ; soldiers were told to turn a blind eye on the potato thieves.

It so happens that on my travel to my beading lessons I pass through the Parmentier metro station, which is decorated with a nice tile painting of a potato plant.

"Avoir la patate" is a popular expression that means more or less to be full of beans - and I need it at the moment :o)

I intend to work from pieces of felt and do some appliqué and bead embroidery...

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is wonderful- My daughter lived in Belgium for a year to improve her French - I'll try the potato expression on her! I love your blog and your work - will visit here often. Thanks for your comment on mine.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

P.S. I, too, love Ella Fitzgerald - a holdover from my college days looooong time ago. My favorite movie is An American in Paris - Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron. (music by Gershwin)

Padparadscha said...

Thanks for your comment :o)

A great movie - I'm partial to musicals !

You might try this variation on your daughter : "t'as la frite ?" prounounced "talafrrit" - meaning literally "have you go the chip" or "are you full of energy" :o)